15 February 2014

Angus at Brockley



This was back in November when everything I knew about London was pretty basic: wet, cold, and unpredictable - every thing I expected and wanted it to be. I had times when I thought I need to know London in its detail, but was certain that it would have been an impossible task remembering the extent of diversity in its social, cultural, political, and economical scene. Like how I would be enlisting on NHS' free health service, yet the bus would stop before its supposedly destination - just like the good ol' Kopaja.

Some time you would think you know what to see when going to a place you've been before, other times there would be people like Angus that simply redefine your experience.

Angus was recommended by the guy that sold the wrap I had been craving for at Brockley Market (opens on Saturdays, from 10am - 2 pm). He was referred as the best merchant of the market but would not be there every Saturday that the market was available. So, despite having a seven pound wrap - with lamb chop, aubergine, and hummus - in hand, I stood in line to buy his Jhalmuri.


Angus acquired the skill of making Jhalmuri within his six years of going back and forth to Calcutta, making his documentary movie.  The snack is garlic, onion, chillies, ginger, cucumbers, and rice crisps. It tasted as colourful as the decoration of the mini automobile he use, and as refreshing as his greetings to his regular customers. 


I'm not usually a big fan of neon colours. But seeing the virtues of the India that Angus carried to him everywhere, it was one of those rare moments when superficial plastic flower actually look beautiful and make sense.

No comments: