28 March 2014

American Gods


I do not know why I did not read Neil Gaiman before. I guess ever since I restrict myself from buying new books before the unread books in my shelves goes, I had been closing my mind on looking for one. Then again, this book had been around for years - as does Gaiman - and amongst the idea of books-I-should-read, somehow Gaiman was not on my list. I should have known better.

If you haven't read this book - and you're pretty tolerant with the idea of talking God and gods (depending on which god(s) you believe, most of them are likely to have a part in the book), you need to get a copy of it. It has human and gods told in the most real and relevant ways it could be (this might be what the Greek mythology was trying to do at their time then); and some of the coolest quotes opening each chapter. Like this one to open the first chapter:
"The boundaries of our country, sir? Why sir, onto the north we are bounded by the Aurora Borealis, on the east we are bounded by the rising sun, on the south we are bounded by the procession of the Equinoxes, and on the were by the Day of Judgement." 
- The American Joe Miller's Jest Book.
And it only gets better from there.

No comments: