28 November 2013

Accepting Challenges

Let me tell you if you are planning to go back to school. Don't. Unless you have a very good reason of to do it - don't.

Going back to school, especially after working a chunk of years and getting really good at what you do, is only a discouragement. And if you are not ready for that, there's a good chance that you would regret your decision. I mean, come on, I bet you're filled with experience and exposure to how the world really works out there, right? So, why bother to debate those professors and academics of things they discuss, debate, and argue in theoretical realms? Face it, you have better things to do that is more earning. Oh, how I miss getting pay check.

If you are smart enough, you'd listen to me. If you're foolish enough, you'd go anyways.

But, that's exactly what going back to school is all about. It should never reaching to that "But, I'm smart," notion; it's about feeling stupid every now and then because it seems that everyone in the class has always more things to talk about, and why on earth have I never heard of Foucault. I think he was an physicist - yeah, they must have talked about that  Foucault

I'm not saying that if you had not plan to go back you go to that other end smart pants group. My point is that going back to school shouldn't be about going for a degree which you had no idea what it means after you'd graduated and how it'll help you (and your surroundings) a better one. If you're trapped in the situation, get your way around and don't kill yourself (figuratively and literally). Pretend you're accepting the challenge like Barney did with Robin and Lily who noticed that he'd been accepting challenges he knew he could tackle. You never know how graduating might do your surroundings good - if not yourself.

It's hard not to be self-centric when you are in a graduate school, though. There are expectations I am so excited about going back to school. It has been crazy and I have never feel more stupid than I am right now. I kept bulging books from the library because that other book I read was talking about this guy Sennet I had no idea of and I think his idea is intriguing - and my lecturer keeps talking about him. I took piles of movies - starting with the letter "G" because Godard and Gondry never fails - for the weekend.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome to UK. Are you still feeling this way? Hopefully not, I'd love to go back studying. I think I'd love to feel stupid, because that means that I am learning. hahahah! well good luck I am sure you would excel in whatever you are doing

rassi narika said...

Thank you!

Oh, I enjoy it so much, I don't know if I can get enough of school! (Ironic, remembering how I wanted to get out of school so much when I was younger). But yes, I love not being a full-cup, so there is always things I don't know and feel stupid about. And that actually how I work best :).